On our way to the Jail Break 5K in our Brooks ID attire.

On our way to the Jail Break 5K in our Brooks ID attire.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Marathon Training Week 1

  Wow the day I have been waiting for since November 13, 2010 when I finished my first marathon in Richmond, Va has finally came this week-Boston Marathon Training!  Richmond was my first marathon and I have not done a marathon since so I am going into Boston as my second road race marathon.  I have dedicated myself to a 18 week training plan with a friend of mine who's a strong runner and is training for Boston as well.  We have the same goal so having her to do workouts with is wonderful. 

  This week being my first week, I have learned some lessons about what cross training works well and what does not. I think I may have lifted a touch too heavy with my legs on Thursday making Friday's hill repeats not so fun and my legs still a little sore going into Saturdays run. 

  Richmond was a day I will never forget, the 26.2 miles were so much fun and to be real honest with you, we really did not follow a training plan to prepare.  We ran A LOT of races and added miles before and after the race.  We did our weekday runs and long runs on the weekend, however, we did not many workouts specific to marathon training.  It was just on of those days when everything that could go right, went right.



Richmond Start Line

Richmond Finish-2nd favorite day of my life!

 










I told myself after Richmond and thinking about Boston 2012 (which felt like-never, never land away) that I was going to go into this marathon having trained like a runner, plan and all.  Well before I knew it December 2011 was here and training was about the begin.  This training like a runner came with some sacrifices.  I decided to no longer train with my personal trainer after almost 4 years, I will not lift as heavy as I had in the past and also will not do as many races.  Time on my bike, swimming and weights will have some places in my training plan but not as a means to wear me out more as cross training. 

Training plan, running journal and 26 miles to Boston book!
 
  I have gone through a lot of internal turmoil over this decision to give up some of the workouts I am so used to doing weekly to be more rest and have more time to commit run workout.  In the end I think it will be the right decision.   I am so excited to be where I am and honored at this privilege.  When I get to the finish line where my husband and entire family will be waiting on me I want to know that I gave it all I could!

William raced 13.1 yesterday while I had a training run

Week 1-26 miles
Monday-8 miles 4 at 1/2 marathon pace-I did not do this workout as I had done 31 miles for my 31st Birthday so I took complete rest days Sunday and Monday of this week to make sure I was rested!
Tuesday-Yoga
Wednesday 9 miles (med long run)1:15 8:20 pace at 0500-Hilly route to get used to the rolling
then 1000m swim after our run
Thursday 3.25 mile walk, weights and 1150 swim
Friday-5 recovery pace with 6 hill repeats (3 x 10 sec and 3 x 1 min)
Saturday-12 miles 1:38 (med long run) 8:12 pace-great rolling course and finished on a big up hill
Sunday-walk 2 miles, 600m swim and weights

17 weeks to go----woo hoo!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for your Tuesday yoga session!! That's one of the smartest things I've ever done for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait a minute! I ran Richmond in 2010! I wish I had known! I just started Boston training too! See you there!

    ReplyDelete